Sunday, December 17, 2006

New Oil Painting


Scratchboard was my medium of choice during school, so I never really dedicated myself to do any finished work in oil. I did head studies in oil, but that's about the extent of it. Here I am, over ten years later, wishing I had that many years of painting experience behind me. The itch to get into painting has been growing, and I finally gave in. I dug out the set of oils my dad used to use when he was taking art classes. They have to be at least 40 years old, but the colors are still good.


Painting from a photograph would have been better, but my color printer needs refilling. Rather than wait, I decided to wing it, and just make something up. I sketched in a rocky mountain top and here is the result on a 5x7 canvas board. It's nothing to shout about, but I was pleased with the result overall. More than anything it was fun getting out the paints. On to the next one.

No comments: